In this business unit, coating technologies are developed for the aerospace sector. The focus is on functionalizing lightweight materials such as carbon fiber reinforced plastics (CFRP) or light metals. In addition, coating systems are developed for optical applications, in particular for special precision filters for space missions.
Currently the Fraunhofer IST is working on the following projects:
- Electroplated metallization of CFRP components
- Development of new environment-friendly CFRP metallization methods
- Metallization of titanium components
- Wear-protection coatings for engines in jet aircraft
- Bearing sensor systems for condition monitoring in aircraft
- Development of surfaces for molds free from release agents
- Electroplated coatings of magnesium in aerospace applications
- Development of coating processes for precision lenses such as filters
Customers include companies from the aerospace sector as well as their suppliers.