One key focus at the Application Center for Plasma and Photonics of the Fraunhofer Institute for Surface Engineering and Thin Films IST in Göttingen is plasma particle technology. The work here concentrates on the generation or modification of particles and on plasma coating with processing of ultra-fine powders.
The technological basis of the plasma particle technology is predominantly the systems and processes developed at the Application Center. These include:
- Arc-discharge source for the synthesis of carbon nanoparticles
- Atmospheric pressure sputter jet for the synthesis of nanoparticles and for producing coatings
- Low-pressure sputtering system for the all-round coating of micro- and nano-powders
- Plasma reactor for functionalizing powders
- Plasma jet with liquid feeder for processing solutions and dispersions for coating purposes
- Plasma jet with powder delivery system for the secure use of particles for creating coatings
A wide range of materials can be created and processed with the systems available. The spectrum extends from metals via metal oxides, ceramics, and composites to polymer powders.
In addition, the plasma particle technology includes the coating and finishing of objects of the most varied types and geometries – from the thinnest films to complex, three-dimensional structures.
- Individual solution concepts
- Feasibility studies
- Prototype production
- Technology transfer
- Advice on the implementation of new product options