The antimicrobial effect of low temperature plasmas opens up a huge variety of application fields also beyond the medical field. There is a little substrate heating and therefore also almost all thermosensitive materials can be disinfected. Examples inlcude:
- Treatment of seed for the improvement of germination capacity
- Ellimination of fungal spores to protect wood and derived timber products
- Disinfection of food grade packaging material
- Direct treatment of food to improve product durability
Plasma surface sterilization is fast, energy efficient and environmentally-friendly and can in many cases replace wet chemical processes, partly even those environmentally harmful.
- Plant engineering and construction
- Technology development for the disinfection of seeds, food, packaging and other temperature sensitive materials